Tuesday, April 27, 2010

MANTRIP 2010 Day One Log

The first 120 miles have been pleasant. it rained much of the way. The hills along Hwy 26 are coming to life with a beautiful Spring rain.

Sticking with the only rule of MANTRIP 2010 (When eating out, you must eat local and not chain.) I've sat down to lunch at Front Street, an old-western themed tourist schtick in Ogallala, NE. I've ordered a water and the 6 ounce New York steak lunch special, medium-rare of course. It was cooked perfectly and brought to the table hot. It should've been since I was the only person there at the time. The special came with a side salad, coconut cake cup and slice of Texas toast. I got it all for the special low price of $7.76. The service was great and the place was slow, which I expected for 2:00 PM.

I hopped back on the road and headed east on I-80 for Lincoln...

I arrived at Mark and SheriLynne's around 7:30 PM. The Hansen children were their usual funny seles and were excited to have an audience. We ate in and Mark and SheriLynne cooked up an amazing meal of chicken marsala with orzo.

Mark had purchased some special beer to celebrate the beginning of MANTRIP 2010 and to celebrate the fact that he didn't have to go back to his job ever again. I don't remember the name of the brew...Duvelt or something along that line. It was OK. It was a little more bright and fruity than I prefer.

The rest of the evening was spent in conversation with friends and making last minute plans for us to head out in the morning.

It's midnight and I need to get to sleep. We have an early start to Louisville in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...Front Street in Ogallala. I’ve been there many times. It’s good to hear they’re still in business.

    If you go back though Ogallala on your way home I recommend the Sip ‘n Sizzle bar. Not really for the food, although you can get a Blondia Burger and fries for just a couple of bucks, if don’t mind the cigarette ash on the side of you plate.

    It’s where you’ll find the locals, belly up to the bar and find out a lot about what they think and what they know from local farming to global issues. Along the back wall is a jute box that still plays 7 songs for 25 cents, mostly Hank Williams, Jr. and the like and the sign above the women’s restroom says, “laidies,” and there’s nothin’ wrong with that.
    -Mayme Keagy

    ReplyDelete